Hotels.com has analyzed searches on its site and mobile app from the past three years to identify the most in-demand and out-of-touch amenities so far in 2022.
“The pandemic impacted nearly every aspect of our lives, including how we search for our next hotel stay,” said Mel Dohmen, senior brand manager, Hotels.com. “The amenities we love and are looking for in 2022 reflect everything we’ve felt and experienced over the past few years. From hotels that helped us relax and take the edge off to those that complemented new hobbies like cooking and skiing, there’s a lot to learn about where travelers are going this year based on how they search for the perfect hotel stay.”
Key findings from the 2022 Hotels.com Amenity Report:
- Bathtubs were the most-searched hotel amenity during the peak of the pandemic. Searches so far this year are up 25% compared with 2019, and interest in spas have grown, too (+35%).
- Searches for ski-in/ski-out hotels are at peak levels, up 50% since 2019. Interest in properties with ski shuttles and storage are also up 20%.
- Kitchens were the second most sought-after amenity in 2021. The trend is continuing with kitchen searches increasing 15% year-over-year.
- Searches for properties with free WiFi are plummeting, down 50% since pre-pandemic.
- Searches for properties with business facilities are down 40% compared with 2019.
What’s trending now
- Searches for properties with free parking are up 70% this year as travelers continue to favor destinations within driving distance.
- Searches for properties with free airport transfers are up 105% so far this year.
- Searches for properties with cribs (+65%), childcare (+45%) and connecting rooms (+20%) have increased double digits.
- Interest in pet-friendly stays is up 35% this year.
- Searches for gyms were down 30% or more last year compared with 2019. However, this year, travelers are getting back into their wellness routine and year-over-year searches for gyms have increased 65%.
- Breakfast is back this year as searches are up 75%.
How your state stays: Spring break edition
Ahead of spring break, Hotels.com also explored top-searched travel destinations and amenities to see how each of the 50 states and DC find the perfect stay. Top regional trends include:
- Northeasterners prefer four-star properties with free parking. While Southerners are okay with 2.5-star stays, so long as they come with free breakfast.
- Arizonans and Californians look for pet-friendly properties, while travelers in Maryland, Louisiana and Ohio just want to soak in a bathtub.
- Midwesterners prefer midsize cities like Omaha and Oklahoma City to metropolitan areas. And residents in Southwest states (Arizona, Nevada) are most likely to choose California.