NEW YORK, NY—During the Americas Lodging Investment Summit, hospitality industry executives attended a reception to honor the first recipient of the Shatterproof Hospitality Hero Award—Thomas Corcoran, president & CEO, TCOR Hotel Partners.
Shatterproof, a national nonprofit organization dedicated to ending the devastation the disease of addiction causes families, hosted the event and raised more than $580,000 to advance its mission.
Corcoran is a member of Shatterproof’s advisory board and has been an integral part of uniting the leaders of the hospitality world to come together for this cause. The event raised funds that will support Shatterproof’s advocacy efforts; provide evidence-based resources to families; and help to end the stigma of addiction.
More than 40 hospitality companies joined together to sponsor this event in support of Shatterproof and its founder and CEO Gary Mendell, a former hotelier—chairman of HEI Hotels & Resorts—whose son Brian lost his life to addiction in 2011.
“I am blown away by the incredible support of the hotel industry,” said Mendell. “I could not be more grateful of my peers’ commitment to our cause. These leaders of the hospitality world embody the industry’s resolute support of ending the stigma of addiction and they are truly making a profound impact.”
In 2016 and 2017, the nonprofit hosted the Shatterproof Challenge Rappel alongside ALIS, which raised more than $1.6 million dollars. Since 2016, the hospitality industry has raised more than $2 million dollars for Shatterproof at events at ALIS.
“It was my privilege to receive this award, but more importantly, to help raise awareness and mission critical funds for Shatterproof,” said Corcoran. “Our industry is disproportionately affected by addiction and helping to end stigma and talk about it at a high visibility event such as ALIS is extremely important.”
The 2018 Host Committee for the Shatterproof Hospitality Heroes Reception included:
- Geoff Balotti, CEO, Wyndham Hotels and Resorts
- Mike Barnello, president & CEO, LaSalle Hotel Properties
- James Burba, CEO, Burba Hotel Network
- Thomas Corcoran, president & CEO, TCOR Hotel Partners
- Joel Eisemann, chief development officer, Intercontinental Hotels
- Andrea Foster, SVP, development, Marcus Hotels & Resorts
- Kirk Kinsell
- Gary Mendell, founder & CEO, Shatterproof; chairman, HEI Hotels & Resorts
- William Reynolds, senior managing director, Marcus Hotels & Resorts
- Anthony Rutledge, CEO, HEI Hotels & Resorts
- Mark Woodworth, senior managing director, CBRE Hotels
- Alfred Young, COO, LaSalle Hotel Properties