Building on its strategy to continually grow its footprint in markets sought after by guests and developers alike, Cambria Hotels, an upscale brand franchised by Choice Hotels International Inc., has awarded 10 franchise agreements to develop the new Cambria prototype.
Launched in late 2021, the new prototype is designed to build the right-sized Cambria for the right market, helping to lower the total cost of owning a Cambria hotel while continuing to deliver on the core hallmarks upscale guests prefer, the company reports.
The new Cambria prototype option will continue to deliver the brand hallmarks and signature amenities that appeal to modern travelers. These new franchise agreements help accelerate the brand’s presence in secondary markets and leisure destinations:
- Buckeye, AZ: A destination for wildlife and outdoor enthusiasts, this suburb in the western Phoenix metropolitan area offers miles of trails for hikers, bikers and more.
- Tracy, CA: Located just outside California’s Bay Area, this city is best known for its railroads, agriculture, wineries and rich history.
- Sacramento, CA: As the Golden State’s fifth-largest city and state capital, Sacramento is celebrated for its culture and farm-to-table food scene.
- Palmdale, CA: Nicknamed the “aerospace capital of America” for its main industry, this city is situated north of Los Angeles and home to mountain views and outdoor activities.
- Seekonk, MA: Situated along the Massachusetts-Rhode Island border, Seekonk is a commercial center located 10 minutes from Downtown Providence, Brown University and other local attractions.
- West Yarmouth, MA: Centrally located on the south shore of Cape Cod, this town is located next to Hyannis Harbor with daily ferry service to Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard.
- Southaven, MS: Situated on the Mississippi-Tennessee border, this city is a principal suburb in the greater Memphis area, known for its family-friendly attractions, growing economy and close proximity to the University of Mississippi.
- Portsmouth, NH: Located near the mouth of the Piscataqua River, this city is known for its history—ranking sixth in the U.S. for National Geographic Traveler’s “Historic Places”—with hundreds of restaurants and a vibrant arts and cultural scene.
- Medford, OR: This city is located in southern Oregon, providing easy access to natural scenery, top wineries and local dining.
- Sevierville, TN: Nestled in the Great Smoky Mountains foothills, this town is home to hiking trails and waterfalls as well as shopping at its galleries, boutiques, flea markets and antique stores.
“Key to our continued success is working with the right developers in the right markets, which is why we are proud to provide yet another development option for new and existing owners alike to grow their portfolio with the Cambria brand,” said Mark Shalala, SVP development, upscale brands, Choice Hotels. “From the start, Cambria has been revered among guests for delivering an upscale product that’s both approachable and thoughtfully curated just for them. These same tenets have always been central components of the brand’s value proposition, and are similarly reflected in the latest prototype, which is intended to deliver cost-efficient designs and operational efficiency in a sophisticated package, so more owners can tap into the growing upscale market.”
As the brand grows both its design-forward, hybrid prototype and custom designed hotels, it celebrates four back-to-back groundbreakings in less than 10 days. This expansion continues, despite the rise in interest rates and cost of materials, which is a testament to the brand and prototype, the company reports. In the first quarter of 2022, the number of domestic franchise agreements awarded for the brand has more than doubled, compared to the same period of 2021.
Successfully breaking ground on four new, custom development projects in less than 10 days—including the Cambria Hotel Rehoboth Beach last week—these groundbreakings further underscore Cambria’s rapid coast-to-coast expansion:
- Cambria Hotel Spokane, WA: The future four-story, 90-room Cambria will position guests near the city’s top employers and area attractions, including Fairchild Air Force Base, Gonzaga University, Spokane Falls and Manito Park.
- Cambria Hotel Burbank, CA: The six-story, 90-room Cambria hotel will provide guests will easy access to downtown Los Angeles, as well as top regional leisure attractions such as Walt Disney Studios, Warner Bros. Studios and Nickelodeon Studios. The hotel will also be close to nearby state parks and nature preserves.
- Cambria Hotel North Conway, NH: Set against the backdrop of White Mountain National Park, when it opens, the three-story, 115-room Cambria will serve as a destination for adventure-seeking guests in search of the area’s top hiking trails, leaf-peeping spots and ski slopes. The hotel will also be closely located to nearby outlet malls and the Mt. Washington Observatory.
“Cambria Hotels has arrived,” said Janis Cannon, SVP, upscale brands, Choice Hotels. “After successfully doubling the size of our portfolio in the last five years, the brand is now located in nearly 75% of the top U.S. markets, where its design-forward, locally-tailored, upscale experience continues to resonate strongly with modern travelers. Growth-minded developers have taken notice as well, and the popular Cambria prototype offers this group a new opportunity to access the benefits of our segment-defining brand, while streamlining costs and maximizing operational efficiencies. These latest development milestones affirm our expansion strategy is working and together, with our growing development community, we look forward to propelling the Cambria brand to new heights and new markets—from scenic Cape Cod to downtown Albuquerque and beyond.”
There are currently more than 130 Cambria hotels open or under development across the U.S. in cities such as Chicago, Los Angeles, Nashville, New Orleans, Phoenix and Washington, DC.